Connecticut Child Support Enforcement Lawyer

All parents are obligated to financially support their children, regardless of whether or not that parent has visitation or custody rights. There can be substantial consequences for any parent who fails to meet these obligations. In some cases, holding these parents accountable might only be possible with the guidance of a seasoned family law attorney.

If you are living with the financial strain of missed child support payments, you may have multiple enforcement options available to you. A Connecticut child support enforcement lawyer could review your circumstances and help you recover the missed payments you are entitled to.

Resolving Child Support Obligations in Private

Addressing delinquent child support obligations through legal action is possible, but it is not always necessary to take that step. In some situations, a family attorney in Connecticut can help a custodial parent resolve a dispute regarding child support without the need for court intervention.

Typically, a Connecticut child support enforcement lawyer would first send a demand letter to the noncustodial parent to notify them of the deficiency as an opportunity to cure the deficiency without court intervention. In some cases, these letters can push the other parent to pay what is owed.

Pursuing a Motion for Contempt

A motion for contempt might be necessary if the parties cannot resolve a child support conflict on their own. The court has broad contempt powers it can use to force the noncustodial parent to pay what they owe.

This process begins with the filing of a motion for contempt, which is a legal document that argues the other parent is delinquent, as well as the amount they owe. Once the motion is filed, it must be served on the other parent before a hearing can occur. At the hearing, the court will determine if the noncustodial parent is delinquent and weigh the enforcement options against them.

Consequences of Contempt

There are a number of potential consequences if the family law judge finds a noncustodial parent in contempt for nonpayment. As with any contempt action, the court has the power to fine the parent or even hold them in police custody for up to six months. More importantly, the court can take aggressive steps to collect the money owed by the noncustodial parent. Some of these options can include placing a lien on real property, garnishing wages, levying bank accounts, or withholding tax refunds. In extreme cases, the court might even seize personal assets or force the foreclosure of real property to pay off these debts.

There are other potential consequences outside of the efforts to force the noncustodial parent to give what they owe. In some cases, a contempt order can lead to criminal charges. If the amount of money owed is large enough, federal prosecutors can become involved. A family law judge might even order a delinquent parent to lose certain licenses, including driving privileges or professional licenses.

Reach Out to a Connecticut Child Support Enforcement Attorney Right Away

If you are owed back child support from the noncustodial parent, you do not have to face this challenge on your own.

Let a Connecticut child support enforcement lawyer help you recover what you are owed. Call now to set up a private consultation to discuss the options available to you.

Connecticut Family Lawyer | CT Family Law | Dolan Family Attorneys N/a